Dr. Asher Kimchi, Founder and Chairman of the International Academy of Cardiology (IAC) today announced the winning recipients of the 2013 IAC Awards at the 18th World Congress on Heart Disease held in Vancouver, BC, Canada. In addition to the IAC awards, the committee also named three faculty to receive the Distinguished Fellowship Award.
Dr. Asher Kimchi, together with Co-Chairmen Dr. John A. Elefteriades and Dr. Jeffrey S. Borer, headed a committee comprised of 140 of the world's leading cardiologists and scientists that reviewed a prestigious list of nominees and voted for their top choice.
The following awards for 2013 were presented at the Opening Ceremony of the International Academy of Cardiology, 18th World Congress on Heart Disease, Annual Scientific Sessions 2013 to honor the memory of distinguished colleagues, all former members of the faculty of previous International Academy of Cardiology meetings who made major contributions to Medicine and Cardiology:
- The Walter Bleifeld Memorial Award for distinguished work in the field of Clinical Research to Horst Sievert, MD, Director of the Cardiovascular Center Frankfurt, and the Department of Internal Medicine, Cardiology and Vascular Medicine of the Sankt Katharinen Hospital in Frankfurt; Associate Professor of Internal Medicine/Cardiology at the University of Frankfurt, Germany.
- The Albrecht Fleckenstein Memorial Award for distinguished work in the field of Basic Research to Anne A. Knowlton, M.D., Professor of Cardiovascular Medicine and Pharmacology at the University of California, Davis, CA, USA.
- The Jan J. Kellermann Memorial Award for distinguished work in the field of Cardiovascular Disease Prevention to Stephen L. Kopecky, MD, Professor of Medicine, Mayo Clinic Division of Cardiovascular Diseases, MN, USA.
- The Hans-Peter Krayenbuehl Memorial Award for distinguished work in the field of Research in Cardiac Function to Kailash N. Pandey, PhD, Professor and Vice-Chair, Department of Physiology, Tulane University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, LA, USA.
- The Melvin L. Marcus Memorial Award for distinguished contribution as a Gifted Teacher to Julius M. Gardin, MD, Professor of Medicine at Rutgers and Chairman of Medicine at Hackensack University Medical Center, NJ, USA.
The 2013 Distinguished Fellowship Awards were presented to three Faculty of the 18th World Congress on Heart Disease:
- Elizabeth Barrett-Connor, MD, Chief, Division of Epidemiology and Distinguished Professor in the Departments of Family and Preventive Medicine and Medicine at the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine, CA, USA
- Michael E. Cain, MD, Professor of Medicine, Vice President for Health Sciences and Dean of the School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University at Buffalo, NY, USA
- Michael H. Criqui, MD, Distinguished Professor and Chief, Division of Preventive Medicine, Department of Family and Preventive Medicine at the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine, CA, USA
The Opening Ceremony and Awards Presentations were chaired by Dr. John A. Elefteriades, William W.L. Glenn Professor of Surgery, Director, Yale Center of Thoracic Aortic Disease, Yale University and Yale New-Haven Hospital, CT, USA; Chairman, Scientific Executive Committee of the IAC; and Dr. Jeffrey S. Borer, Professor of Medicine and Chairman, Department of Medicine; Chief, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, SUNY, Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn NY, USA; Member, Scientific Executive Committee of the IAC.
The following Members of the Scientific Executive Committee of the IAC also took part in the Awards Ceremony:
-Prof. Naranjan S. Dhalla, Distinguished Professor at the Faculty of Medicine, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
-Dr. William Bommer, Professor of Medicine at the University of California, Davis, Director of Non-Invasive Cardiology and Director of the Cardiovascular Training Program for UC Davis, CA, USA; President of the California Chapter of the American College of Cardiology.
-Dr. Stephen L. Kopecky, Professor of Medicine and Cardiologist at Mayo Clinic, President of the American Society for Preventive Cardiology
The Seventh H.J.C. Swan Memorial Lecture at the Opening Ceremony of the International Academy of Cardiology, 18th World Congress on Heart Disease, Annual Scientific Sessions 2013, was delivered by Ezra A. Amsterdam, M.D., Professor of Medicine and Chief (Academic Affairs) of the Division of Cardiology at the University of California Davis, School of Medicine, on the topic of "Coronary Heart Disease in Women: A Fresh Perspective."
Dr. Kimchi comments, "The International Academy of Cardiology is dedicated to the advancement of global research in cardiovascular medicine through the support of scientific meetings and publications."
In his opening remarks, Dr. Kimchi commented, "Over the past 24 years, the World Congress on Heart Disease has been an outstanding meeting for aspiring young researchers to present their research and interact with senior investigators in a relaxed and convivial atmosphere."
Dr. Kimchi added, "The faculty of the Congress has repeatedly attested to the high quality of the research presented in these scientific sessions and the excellent interchange of ideas that transpires at each meeting."
The World Congress on Heart Disease, the annual scientific session of the International Academy of Cardiology, provides the opportunity for a comprehensive overview of current concepts and future directions in cardiovascular medicine.
"We are delighted by the interest which has been shown in this year's Congress from clinicians and investigators from 51 countries around the globe. The 495 oral and poster presentations for this congress were carefully selected by the Scientific Abstract Review Committee from 785 submitted abstracts," said Dr. Kimchi.
Dr. Asher Kimchi, the Founder and Chairman of the World Congress on Heart Disease, is an internationally renowned pioneering cardiologist, a former flight surgeon in the Israeli Air Force, and the Founder and Chairman of the International Academy of Cardiology. Dr. Kimchi is the Clinical Chief of the Division of Cardiology and the Medical Director of the Preventive and Consultative Heart Center of Excellence at the Cedars-Sinai Heart Institute in Los Angeles, CA, USA. Dr. Kimchi holds the academic title of Clinical Professor of Medicine at David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. He is a Past-President of the American Heart Association, Los Angeles County Division.
Dr. Kimchi has been involved in medical education for many years. During the past 24 years Dr. Kimchi has served as organizer and chairman of 20 large international congresses on Heart Failure and Heart Disease. He is editor of eight cardiology books, his scientific articles on the diagnosis and treatment of coronary artery disease and congestive heart failure have appeared in many prestigious peer review journals, and he has served on the editorial boards of several leading journals. In 2010 he was elected as a Fellow of the International Academy of Cardiovascular Sciences.
The International Academy of Cardiology, 19th World Congress on Heart Disease, Annual Scientific Sessions 2014, will be held in Boston, Massachusetts, USA, July 25-28, 2014.
For more information on the scientific program, abstract submission, registration, accommodation and exhibition, please contact:
Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/8/prweb10979007.htm
Nasdaq quotes delayed at least 15 minutes, all others at least 20 minutes.
Markets are closed on certain holidays. Stock Market Holiday List
By accessing this page, you agree to the following
Press Release Service provided by PRConnect.
Stock quotes supplied by Six Financial
Postage Rates Bots go here